Sunday, June 01, 2008

The Longer We Wait, The More We Deteriorate

I read somewhere that as we get older the longer we do not workout from the time that we did workout the more our muscles deteriorate. Now that sounds like common sense, as we get older our muscles need more push to get the same results. Yes that is probably common sense, but how many people have ever really thought about it? I am not old by any means, but I am still older than when I started my working out adventures. When I was younger it was way easier to recover from workouts and I could go a lot longer in between workout stints and not lose any strength. Now it seems like if I miss for a day or two I have lost any and all gains that I have made in the previous week. I can only assume that the majority of people reading this are in the older but not quite old category and here is my advice for you. Keep doing something. It is very simple but it holds very true. There will be days and weeks now and in the future when you will not want to do anything. You will be swamped with school or work, or in laws or vacation or whatever it is that you think is more important than your health. If you do not have time to go to the gym then do some prison style workouts. Google it if you want more in depth stuff. The simple version of it is do push ups, crunches, and body weighted squats, or any other body weighted squats. Take 10 minutes out of your day and get it done. It doesn't have to be anything major just something to keep your muscles engaged and doing something. Trust me, you will regret that week you let slip by because of something else.

My last thought for the day is that while you might think things are more important than going to the gym, remember that you only have one body. Treat it right.

365 Fit for life

No comments: