Saturday, November 29, 2008

Am I Really Not Eating Out?

Like myself, I am pretty sure we have all said, I don't want to eat out. Whether it be because of money, nutrition, or whatever you're reason, we have all said it at one time or another. I recently have made that statement. We usually have a bad habit of eating out whenever we get paid. I am sure a lot of other people do that in some fashion or another. Oh, I just got paid, I need to go shopping. Oh, look, money, . Whatever your vice may be, we have all been there.

I did not want to eat out for both of my stated reasons. I didn't want to spend the money, and I didn't want to eat unhealthy. We did good through the first week and then the weekend rolls around. It was Friday after work and we had just pulled into our driveway. I said to my girlfriend, let's go get something to drink for the weekend. We pulled out of our driveway and went to the store that is like two blocks away. When it was all said and done we spent about 16 dollars on drinks and snacks. The weekend was almost over and I had some time to think about the situation. Are we really not eating out?

When we go to fast food places we usually end up spending about 14 to 17 dollars. When we go sit down and eat it's probably around 20 to 30 to 40 depending on where we eat. The point I am trying to make is, while I thought we were doing good for not eating out, in reality, we really were. We were spending X amount of money for "food" that lasted for about a meal.

People do this all the time. They don't want to go out and eat so they think, I'll just go to the store and buy things to cook at home. What inevitably happens at the store? We get junk food, snacks, or something like that. We often go to the store hungry and we often go after work when we are all stressed out and just want to get it over with and our guard is often down. We grab a 24 pack of pop, which incidentally is now a 20 pack it seems, a bag of chips, maybe some dip, or desert. We buy all these things thinking we are doing the right thing because we are making our purchases at a supermarket and not at a restaurant.

Whenever money is involved, or your health, or food, or eating, always make sure you are doing what is the best for you. Just because you bought food from a supermarket, doesn't mean that you are doing the best thing for you. Just because you are eating out at a restaurant, doesn't mean you aren't doing the best thing for you. If you go to a grocery store, have a meal plan ready before you go to the store so that you get only the healthy things that you need. Go to the store when you are not hungry to help avoid impulse buys. Also, if at all possible, do not go to the store with your kids, your sisters kids, or any kids. They will slow down the process, they will want things they shouldn't have, and they will distract you from staying the course.

I hope that we all make the best choice for ourselves no matter what that choice is.

365 Fit for life!

No comments: