Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Triathlete Bikeman

I have always toyed with the idea of participating in a triathlon. Since starting this whole parkour thing it has motivated me at least a little bit to be more active. I have made an unofficial promise to myself, not in writing, to do a triathlon.

I started my pseudo training tonight with a little bike riding. I learned three things while riding around my neighborhood. First, like I had said in a previous post, I am out of shape. Two, I do not like biking up hills. Three, hot cheetos and Mt. Dew are not good pre-workout foods.

This is day four of me being active every day, and that is a good thing. I feel tired and achey and tired, and sore, and did I mention achey. I hate that it is getting longer and longer for me to get back to the place where I left off when I worked out for any length of time. I am hoping that in the next two weeks I will be back to a level where I won't feel completely worthless.

*Parkour update - During my bike ride I came across some picnic tables and decided to work on my kong vaults. I was able to dive just a little bit and plant my hands about half way across the table and jump up and onto the table without injuring myself. I just couldn't muster the courage to actually try and jump over it yet. Until then I will keep practicing and let it happen.

365 Fit for life.

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Zac said...

"This is day four of me being active every day, and that is a good thing. I feel tired and achey and tired, and sore, and did I mention achey. I hate that it is getting longer and longer for me to get back to the place where I left off when I workout for any length of time."

Look up the definition of "overtraining." You'll find the above paragraph. I know you're excited about getting fit and turning yourself around, but resting is when you actually make gains, not during the workout itself. It isn't called "recovery" for nothing!

I'd recommend a 2 day on, 1 day off schedule - at least for a few weeks. If, after say 4 weeks, you feel fine, move to a 3 on 1 off schedule. But give your body time to catch up and recover. If you don't, check out the article on my elbow problems on my blog.

365 Fit said...

Thanks for the advice. I know that over training is not a good thing, and suprisingly I havn't been overtraining. I do my strength training every other day, and then I do a little cardio on my off days and I rest on my weekends. If I feel tired or too sore, then rest longer. I am 26 now, and I know that isn't old, but it is a lot older than when I was 20 and doing the same stuff. I listen to my body and I know how I work, and my feeling sore is my natural part of getting in shape.

Thank you for checking in on my blog, and taking the time to offer your insight.